16 April 2020
On 2 November 2019, UNESCO Almaty and Association of Community Media of Kyrgyzstan launched the "University-based Learning of Community Media Specialists" project supported by the International Programme for the Development of the Communication (IPDC). Next phase will be response to pandemic in 2020 and finishing the curriculum assignment.45 teachers of the journalism faculties/chairs, participants of the training will be met online within the next phase of the project in May-June 2020.
Current project phase will be devoted to the model curricula on journalism education with focus on science and health journalism, as well as UNESCO and community media resources to counter disinformation.
First two workshops take place on 2-3, 23-24 November 2019, respectively aimed to develop a community media curriculum for 12 journalism universities adapted to the conditions of the Kyrgyz Republic based on the UNESCO model of journalism education, curriculum “Community Radio Journalism”.
Universities involved in the project:
- Kyrgyz National University named after J. Balasagyn, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz State University named after I. Arabaev, Bishkek
- International University of Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz-Kuwait University named after M. Kashgari, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz-Turkish University "Manas", Bishkek
- American University of Central Asia, Bishkek
- Osh State University, Osh
- Kyrgyz-Turkish Faculty, Specialty Journalism, Osh
- Bishkek Humanitarian University, Bishkek
- International University "Ala-Too", Bishkek
- University of Central Asia, Naryn
The first workshop was devoted to International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists (IDEI)
The project contributes to the development of pluralistic media and communication for sustainable development (SDG16) and sets the international standards of teaching and training of the media outlets in Kyrgyzstan.
We encourage you to share this positive message with others through #StayAtHome, #shareinformation, #JournalismEducation.